Yesterday, doing some browsing concerning the ShadowRun PnP RPG, I came across Deckeon. Deckeon is a MUD based on the ShadowRun ruleset. I started zMUD and logged into Deckeon. It’s actually a very well done MUD, but the help files are a bit lacking. The GMs are nice and helpful, which is always a plus, but I figured I would put up some of the things I learned about Deckeon that will help other players later on.
- Choosing an Archetype not only sets your skills and attributes, but also your race. This took me by surprise, and I had to reroll to be a Night One (dark elf)
- the PURCHASE command is used to spend skill points. the amount of skill points you have is chosen at character creation. you can check the current amount that you have by using RAISE without any arguments. in order to raise your skills at creation, you must use PURCHASE on them multiple times.
- FIRE is specifically for vehicle weapons. SHOOT fires pistols, rifles, etc. You can also SHOOT <dir> <target> to shoot a target in a room next to your current room.
- SWING attacks with a melee weapon. A whip is handy to start with because it keeps your target at a distance, but it is less effective than, say, a katana.
- The SHADOWCLUB is DOWN from the taxi dropoff location.
- Never raise SEARCH above 1. It is pointless.
- Katana in left hand and Ares Pistol II in right hand is a very potent combination.
- To reload a pistol in your right hand, you use RELOAD RIGHT, not RELOAD R, as the docs indicate. To reload a pistol in your left hand, just use RELOAD.
- The IMPROVE-STRENGTH/QUICKNESS/BODY skills will actually permanently improve your attributes.
It is a very good MUD. As I get more into it, expect to hear more. The website for Deckeon is deckeon.net