Hayanyuu: Limitations

I had another idea for Hayanyuu where the compound search mode was integrated with the regular mode.

And where you don’t have to type aliases but where you selected categories.

E.g. instead of typing hito for the group of radicals 人化个 you would enter category “Animate”, item “Human”.

Both were problematic.

1. Searching edict for a group of kanji followed by the pronunciation of a kanji requires checking two columns separately with no clue as to what part of the column to check.

Example: 人間 (ningen)

Relevant part of edict entry:
人間 [にんげん]

A combined search of 人 + げん is difficult. It would have to look like this:
KCA=kanji-column-anchor
PCA=pronunciation-column-anchor
grep {KCA}人.*{KCA}.*{PCA}.*げん{PCA} edict2.utf

This is hard to do without telling the user to sort out what goes where, but that itself requires writing the tools to do that too.

It’s valuable to have this method for looking up compounds of which you know only part of the pronunciation. But not worth implementing when you can just enter the radicals instead.

You will notice a search like “人gen” does not work in jisho.org either.

2. The category approach was basically me reaching out for users. A way to make the application easier and friendlier.

Categorizing was fun. I will leave you with the list I came up with at the end. I put more work into it than the aliases (which by the way are all sorts of off). And I believe the method had merit for me too.

The major problem was that grouping radicals meant massive amounts of resultant kanji.

The implementation I was going for turned numbers into such a group. E.g. just typing 11 would turn into a group of radicals for “Animate / Human” which would then turn into a group of kanji. I wasn’t sure whether to make the radical list editable. It would be a chore for the user to have to fix that every time anyway. Anyway, I didn’t continue with it, because it needed the same clunky tools of the old version with radical-to-kanji separators and such.

I also tried a single-character alias approach, the implementation of this is simpler, but it’s much harder on the user unless I can think of a more mechanical method.

For now I will continue using version 2. Maybe try making a VB or Javascript port. I don’t know anything of either language though.

Here is the list of categories. It’s fun to work on, and can be improved, but I don’t know if it has practical use, since I never got to test it out properly. I provided a kanji counting command, which should work if you change “hayanyuu” to the right filename and have an radkfile.grep.utf (try the hayanyuu directory ~/.config/hayanyuu/). I don’t know at which “kanji count” a group becomes unpractical, but some are surely too high.
http://sprunge.us/dRFG

Other news.
Today I started translating a manga by Tomizawa Hitoshi. This is a tough one, so I really want to work together with someone. I have someone in mind, but haven’t contacted them yet. I’ll send them the first chapter when I’m done. Very exciting.

By the way gimp 2.7 devel is pretty nice. But that colored dot when you start free-select is annoying, and what really pisses me off is that when you move a text box a tiny bit it will go from Fixed to Dynamic which makes it lose its shape, so it turns into a long line where before you had carefully measured it to a text bubble. I think the older gimp had that too, but it didn’t happen as often.

This entry was posted in edict2, Programming. Bookmark the permalink.